Take a cacao farm tour as part of the festivities surrounding the Big Island Chocolate Festival on Friday April 28th from 11 am - 12 pm at the Original Hawaiian Chocolate Factory. Tickets are $25 and are limited.
Original Hawaiian Chocolate Factory is located amidst a working cacao farm on the slopes of Hualalai in Keauhou, about six miles south of Kailua Kona. The cacao farm tour is a one hour walking tour of the orchard and factory and of course, includes chocolate sampling! Owner, Bob Cooper conducts a fabulous tour full of information about every step in the chocolate making process, from growing the trees to molding each handmade delicious bar.
Come watch Bob discuss the history of his farm, see the cacao pods on the trees and sliced open and see how the seeds go through the process of becoming a chocolate bar!
Tickets for 2017 Cacao Tour Available Now! For those looking for how to get to the Friday April 28,2017 at 11 am Original Hawaiian Chocolate Factory, here are directions:
Here are Directions to Original Hawaiian Chocolate Plantation:
- From the main intersection downtown Kailua-Kona, HI
- QUEEN KAAHUMANU HWY/HAWAII BELT RD/HI-11 intersection with PALANI ROAD. GO SOUTH. Continue to travel South on Highway 11 for 4.8 miles.
- Turn LEFT onto KAMEHAMEHA III RD. ( this is the 8th traffic signal South from the Palani Road intersection)
- Turn RIGHT at the stop sign onto WALUA RD. 0.1 miles
- Turn LEFT onto KAHOOLELE ST. 0.1 miles (This street is only 200 yards South of the Walua Road stop sign)
- Turn RIGHT into the FIRST and ONLY driveway. Our black gate will be open and there is a gold OHCF logo on our rock wall. Once you turn into the gravel driveway take the FIRST paved drive to the left. Follow parking sign.
End at 78-6772 Makenawai St, Kailua Kona, HI 96740-8958 US. Our driveway is actually on Kahoolele Street. 808-322-2626.
Just recently, the Original Hawaiian Chocolate Factory has opened The Chocolate Shoppe at the plantation. The Chocolate Shoppe offers both an educational experience and shopping 10 a.m.-3 p.m. Tuesday through Friday. Visitors can see cacao trees in production and view a 15-minute video detailing everything from tree harvesting to chocolate production, plus enjoy free chocolate samples. The Shoppe is ADA wheelchair-accessible, offers café seating and stocks the full line of OHC’s milk, dark and criollo chocolates.
Thanks to Bob and Pam Cooper for offering their farm tour for the benefit of the Big Island Chocolate Festival! Tickets are $25 each and must be purchased through the here. 100% of the proceeds of the farm tour benefit the organizations the Festival supports.
Learn more about the tour and factory on their website.